Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Welcome!

Welcome to your online discussion of Dear Martin!

Together with members of your book group, you’ll be reading Dear Martin by Nic Stone over the next several weeks. Although you're not required to take notes while you read, it would be wise to keep track of important events and characters for your own clarification. You are, however, expected to participate regularly and thoughtfully in an online discussion of FOUR essential questions. 

Here's how it works:

Divide your book roughly in half. You need to have read and blogged about each half by the due dates below.

There are two kinds of posts in this discussion: response and comment.

Response = direct response to the essential questions
Comment = comment on someone else’s posted response or comment

Post at least THREE responses for each half of your book (SIX overall).
You must respond at least once to each of the essential questions over the course of your reading. One of your six responses can be a “free-response" post.
           
Post at least THREE comments for each section of your book (SIX overall).

Due dates: 
  • Post your first set of responses and comments by Monday, May 20 (Blue 2), and Tuesday, May 21 (Red 2).
  • Post your second set of responses and comments by Thursday, May 30 (Red 2), and Friday, May 31 (Blue 2).
Essential Questions: 
  1. How does prejudice affect the lives of young people growing up?
  2. How and why are people prejudiced?
  3. How are justice & courage related?
  4. In what ways does this book refute the notion of the “single story”? 
** Free-response option: Address another issue/episode/or passage in the book that you find  significant for any reason.

Assessment: 
To earn maximum credit, post thoughtful responses that are at least a few sentences in length—and carefully proofread! Do not misspell characters' or authors’ names! Also, be sure to include specific references to the text (either details or short quotations). Page numbers, too, are always helpful.

92 comments:

  1. Ryan Robertson, Response to number 4. So far in our book, single story has happened a lot. But to be specific, when the police officer saw Justyce loading Melo into the car, the officer immediately thought Justyce was up to no good without even asking him what was going on. The officer single storied Justyce because he is a young black male wearing a hood over his head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes single story has happened a lot so far in the story. Another time we can assume single story happened is when Tomás Castillo is killed. The same officer that arrested Justyce earlier, was arresting Manny's cousin and apparently Manny murdered him. "He confessed to it." We can only assume that it was the same type of incident that happened with Justyce. A white police officer arresting a very intelligent black kid for no good reason. Except with a much worse outcome.

      Delete
    2. Last reply was Ben Anderson (:

      Delete
    3. The single story is giving off a message saying this is what happens in the real world. Some officers are racists and they arrest black people that have no evidence on doing something they didn't do.

      Delete
    4. The book wastes no time in stating that the place that Justyce lives in is full of racism it is made abundantly clear by the way the police officer acts toward Justyce because of his single story on colored people.

      Delete
    5. the reply above was mine

      Delete
    6. Reply to Ryan, I think there is a single story for every character so far. Most of the characters that are given a single story, give a single story to another character...if that makes any sense. :)

      Delete
  2. Ryan Robertson, free response post. There is a quote I found in chapter 3 and I feel this is very strong, "they played together back when the only thing that mattered was staying outside until the streetlights came on" (19). This quote refers back to when Quan and Justyce were little and they didnt have to worry about being stopped and racially prejudiced by the police. All they cared about was having fun in the streets. Now they feel like every time they are in the street, their innocent life is on the line because the cops could pull the trigger on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest I did not even think about that quote I don't even remember reading it but your right it's sad that's there reality.

      Delete
    2. Great coming-of-age reflection! No wonder Justyce regrets losing his carefree childhood, since he's finding life as a black man is loaded with dangers and challenges he didn't anticipate—and can't control.

      Delete
  3. Ryan Robertson, Response to humber 1. Prejudice can do 2 things to a child growing up. It can cause diversion for the child to live a normal life and cause them to grow up different, and scared of what will happen to them the next time a cop will stop them. Or the child will lose their innocence early because they are exposed to very grown up things at such an early age. I know we talked about "staying gold" while reading the outsiders and I don't think its possible to stay gold if you are living prejudice life like Justyce. Do you guys agree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree it's impossible to stay innocent in an environment were everyone thinks your up to no good.

      Delete
    2. Isn't this in part why Justyce starts writing to MLK—to see how he could maintain his integrity / goodness (aka "gold") under such pressure?

      Delete
  4. response to question 2 people are prejudice because of pasted experiences or because thats the way they were brought. If people are brought up to believe that all colored people are always up to no good that's all they'er going to see. Like how Castillo saw Justyce and though he was up to no good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan Robertson Reply. Yes I totally agree with this Luke! If children are influenced by their parents to follow Jim Crow laws or to hate black people, then clearly they are going to act that way throughout their lives. Clearly these police officers were influenced in a way that makes them hate blacks.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Luke, if they grew up with that certain thing stuck in their mind from their parents or stuff said by others, they are most likely to behave like it as adults.

      Delete
  5. Response to question 1 Prejudice affects young kids because from a young age they are taught to be afraid of everyone they speak to that does not have the same skin color as them. They are constantly thinking that they could be doing some thing that anyone else could do but would get in trouble because they are colored. Like in the beginning of the book when Justyce was seen putting Melo in the car if he had been white the officer wouldn't have done a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan Robertson Reply. I totally agree with this entire paragraph, and I was wondering the same thing when I was reading this book. Would the police officer applied as much enforcement to Justyce if he was white? Or would the police officer even stopped at all if he was white?

      Delete
    2. In fact, if Justyce were white, the officer might have commended him for taking care of a young woman in distress.

      Delete
  6. free Response page 59-64 where Jared is saying that he should have gotten in to Yale because he's smarter than Justyce. I don't know why this stood out to me so much but it did. Jared is so sure that he should have gotten in to Yale the second he applied but he didn't but he see that Justyce did so he get's angry and says he should have gotten in because his test scores are better. They are on one test but not on the other then he says it's because Justyce is black and that Yale has a quota to fill. This shows that Jared thinks that he's better than Justyce and that he thinks he deservers Justyce's spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan Robertson Reply. Of course Jared is going to be mad because Yale is choosing a black male over a white. In a way this makes Jared prejudice. But he says on page 59 "I know for a fact it's because I'm white and he's black" so does this make Jared prejudice if he is saying blacks are better than whites in this case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a reply to Lukes free response above.

      Delete
    2. Ryan Robertson^^^

      Delete
    3. I feel Jared is stuck under the single story that everyone is equal and that people of color are kind of just lying about their problems. Because of the people he surrounds himself with. He doesn't realize the irony that Jus and Manny feel about him when they hesitantly went along with them for halloween, worried about what they'd say or do if they decided not to go.

      Delete
    4. To cam, I agree with you completely. Jared is stuck in a single story, I also think all of Jareds friends are, as well as Trey and the other boys from the gang.

      Delete
    5. In response to Ryan's post about Jared, I think Ben's on target when he suggests that Jared thinks Justyce got an unfair advantage in college admissions due to affirmative action policies. He doesn't understand or want to acknowledge that racism and prejudice still pervade society.

      Delete
  8. Jared treats Justyce like he is better than him when they are taking about Justyce getting into Yale. Since Justyce is a different race, Jared thinks that blacks are very dumb and whites are smarter. This is showing prejudice through stereotypes since Justyce is an honor student in the school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Elijah, and I also think SJ brings up a good point of considering someone's 'starting point' before you start judging someone. Its easy for people to judge, just like Jared, before knowing what is actually happening.

      Delete
    2. I agree I like how SJ apologizes for how he crossed a line with his costume

      Delete
  9. I think prejudice has a very big impact on kids, particularly when they're in direct contact with it like Justyce, it's a lot different when a kid hears about it then when they experience it. That prejudice is something that can make a kid come of age, like we talked about with The Outsiders, prejudice changes people and can often lead to hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Amanda, I think that's accurate. If kids are raised badly, they could turn out to be bad kids. If kids are raised by people with very strong opinions then they can have those same opinions.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you to Amanda and Alex, if parents do raise they kids badly for example teach them sketchy things or not loving them enough, etc. They may turn out to be horrible jerks when they become adults.

      Delete
  10. I think Justyce idea to write to MLK is a really incredible and all around amazing idea…maybe its what more people need to do, write there hero when life gets hard, or maybe write to someone you think is a important person. Free response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Amanda, I also think that writing letters to your mentor is a great idea. I think it is especially important to write to a great role model like MLK when you are in a time of adversity. Justyce is struggling with a lot of things. Therefore he has a lot on his mind, such as girl problems and racial prejudice. Writing letters to MLK is a great way to talk about these things and get them off his mind.

      Delete
    2. Amanda I agree as well, it is show the reader what problems Justcye has to face every day of his life. Also I agree that writing to MLK is gives Justcye a good state of mind.

      Delete
  11. Response to number 4. Single stories has popped up again in the book when, "Tavarrius Jenkins, a sixteen year old black kid was shot by a police officer while trying to help an older women." He died from his injuries. The cop who shot Tavarrius, Single storied Tavarrius because he was black. The cop thought he had a gun, but it was really just his phone (85).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, and then they single Justyce out because he got into a scrap with one guy he then becomes a bad kid in the media's eyes. I feel bad for him, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Literally the entire book.

      Delete
  12. To question 2, I think people are prejudice because of the way they're taught. Not every kid follows in their parents opinions but a lot do, that is because young adults spend the most time with their parents. So if a parent thinks a certain way then most likely that kid will think that way, it's a vicious cycle that humans can't change...unless people start thinking differently and with less prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you have said Amanda. I think that people can be raised incorrectly and still turn out to be a good person. I think that a lot of times it is a reflection of the parents and how the kid was raised or treated. I do feel that no matter how people are raised that they can change if they want to.

      Delete
    2. Good point, Alex. Look out for an example of this kind of turn-around as you continue reading the book. Can you guess which character ends up doing a 180?

      Delete
  13. Justyce is not really being treated fairly by the cops. Its because he's black and it looked to the cop like he was attacking Melo when he was just trying to help her out because she was drunk. Justyce is a very good student, a full scholarship to his prep school in Atlanta, Georgia. His letters to Martin Luther King, Jr. are well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I also think cops could have handle things differently such as ask Justyce name and let him explain himself.

      Delete
  14. To question 1, people get affected with prejudice when they grow up as a child. They become that because when they were a child, they see things that their parents have done and thinks that is ok to do. If they try it when they get older, they may offend someone and become prejudice to them. Overtime the might create hate over one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elijah,
      What character or characters in the novel so far inspired your observation above? I think you're absolutely right, but where do you find evidence of this in the book?

      Delete
  15. To question 2, I believe kids are prejudice because of the ways in which they grew up. The deciding factor in how they think mainly comes down to what their guardians and peers think. Although If your parents think something that doesn't necessarily mean you will think that too. Parents need to stop thinking in such discriminating ways because there kids will most likely agree with what the parents think. Prejudice is very disastrous and we need stop it at it's core.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, as I remarked in reply to Elijah above, I think you're both on point in your observations about prejudice, but where do you see evidence of this parental influence in the novel?

      Delete
  16. Free response, I think that the conversation that Doc and Justyce in chapter 11, is a very important conversation for Justyce. He just had a really rough night where he got drunk and ended up punching some of the kids in his class. Not to mention the rough patch between him and manny. The conversation with Doc consists of them talking about what happened the night before and the angry feelings Jus is having. Doc teaches Jus through some stories of his that he should learn to ignore people like Jared who don't care about what he becomes. Doc says that if he didn't ignore the teacher that he had he would have never become a teacher. I think that this whole conversation will help Jus realize that he should learn to ignore Jared in some scenarios, but that he should also not be afraid speak up for what he thinks is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ben, Doc is there when no one is really around to help Jus, his ability to hear his students out and be calm in situations is really incredible in my opinion.

      Delete
  17. Justyce life has been prejudice so far, but he stays strong to fight it off. For example, the raciest people he has encountered in his life time (the police officer and Jared etc) has put him at a hard state but than later in the book, he brings himself right back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Elijah that Justyce life has been experienced racism since the beginning of the book .

      Delete
  18. Response: Essential Question #1
    Prejudice affects the lives of young people growing up because they are regularly impacted by the choices and actions of people that have come before them. In the section that I just read it was Justyce was stating that black lives and white lives are more the same than before when the Jim Crow laws were in affect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Alex, when young people grow up, they feel the change happening in their life. They definitely have to make new choice that impact their own lives over time. I also agree that the choices they made with Jim crow laws was horrible for both races, but over time things got better. There are still raciest people out their that feel like they are better than blacks and should do whatever they want with them.

      Delete
  19. Response to question 3, prejudice is the spark that lights courage. Plenty of famous people such as MLK saw prejudice and had the courage to fight it. Jared shows prejudice to Jus, he then flights it (literally) and so does Manny. Same as Mr. Rivers, he was shown prejudice and fought against it in protests, which unfortunately led to him loosing his job. Prejudice sparks courage.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Response: Free
    I just want to bring the attention to Justyce's mom who, in my opinion, is prejudice because she doesn't want Jus dating a white girl. He should be free to love and date anyone he wants and not be limited by who she wants him to date. It is a basic human right for a person to love whoever they want to love and for his mom to try and stop that...is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda I agree with your opinion, people should definitely have the right to date anyone they was no matter what race they are. I think they reason why Justyce's mom acts this is way is she is worried about Justcye on this impacting his life even harder even tho that is wrong.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Amanda I also think the way Justyce's mom may have grown up should not affect Justyce life.

      Delete
  21. Response: question 4
    Almost everybody in this book has a single story of another person. Jared has a single story based on what he thinks he knows, officer Castillo had a single story of Jus, officer Tison had a single story of Jus & Manny. There are many more single story's in Dear Martin and almost all of them are about skin color. Most people will admit that they have judged someone off a single story, it's a natural instinct to think with stereotypes but it's a persons next thought that counts...realizing that you can't think that way...even though it took Jared a while to understand it, I think he finally does in the end (even though it took him A VERY LONG TIME). Jus's mom thinks with a single story like when she talks to the cops and says "the kind of hell my boy's been through at the hands of people like you," I see that as stereotyping all policemen as bad...which isn't true. So, will every person stop stereotyping, no. But if people start to look past single stories and be more understanding, I think things could head in a better direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that people stereotype people. I feel that you should not judge someone until you get to know them, not but by what they just say. I think that there are more to people than just their looks and appearance and that all people have something to offer.

      Delete
    2. Many single stories in America are based on skin color, that is why Nic Stone did such an amazing job relating this story back to society. Black people get stereotyped even when the person causing the stereotype does not know the person. I can relate this to a time I met an extremely nice Lewiston kid, even though all Lewiston kids are supposed to be mean.

      Delete
  22. There was a single story on page 118-125, were Justyce's friend Manny gets shot by an officer because he didn't turn down the radio from the car. He also insulted the officer by being up to his middle finger. This was hard for Justyce to cope from because that was his good friends. Manny was like a brother to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a mistake when I said "he was like a brother to him". Just ignore that last bit.

      Delete
    2. nvm about that last reply

      Delete
  23. Free Response: on page 144 Quan tells Justyce that a rich white boy stabbed his father 8 times in the middle of the night. He was tired for attempt murder charger, but his lawyer got some doctor to say that he was sleep walking when it happened. The court believed him and got out scotched free, except he had to do youth development campus for 60 days before going back home. When Quan was tried for petty theft charge on his second offense, the judge never believed him and locked him up in jail for one year. This is showing that when judge sees a white dude there is a 75% chance that they would believe them but if you were a black you would have a hard chance to be innocent or guilty. It depends on the judge if he or she is prejudiced against each race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some correlation between To Kill a MockingBird and Dear Martin, with prejudice showing up in the court system. It comes back to are year long question of Is there such thing as true justice when there's prejudice in society...will there ever be true justice in the court system when there are prejudice people on the jury or judges.

      Delete
    2. Wow Amanda that is so perfect! And to answer your question, no there will never be justice when prejudice is a factor. Everyone thinks that justice has gotten better sense the Jem Crow era but it has not.

      Delete
    3. It's sad that this happens all the time even now it's so wrong that people just think because their black they must be guilty.

      Delete
    4. I agree with Luke these days people always prejudiced against someones looks but never against there actions

      Delete
  24. Response EQ #1
    Jared was made at Justyce because he feels that he is smarter and better than him because he is white. He does not agree with him getting into Yale and feels that Justyce "took his spot" at Yale and he is jealous and annoyed by that. Jared feels strongly that the color of his skin makes him better than other people. He shows this be being angry and upset with the fact that Justyce whom is black was accepted into a Ivy League college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he's showing that he views Justyce in a single story because there is no way that a black kid is smarter than him. Even thought that is not true.

      Delete
  25. answer to Q #1 since page 55 there has been a lot of racism going between Justyce
    for example in the first chapter there was racism between the cop and Justyce

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Answer to Q #2 the reason why people are prejudiced is because someone is different from another evidence I have is chapter one with the cop and chapter 4 with halloween party.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Response to number 4. The police officers action towards Justyce and Manny is absolutely ridiculous. Both of the boys were unarmed and harmless. This single story of blacks in America being armed and dangerous is wrong. The way Nic Stone wrote this is perfect. 2 unarmed black teenagers who are not compiling with police officers, and then shots are fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and they were about to comply when they were both shot because Justyce leaned forward to turn the radio down

      Delete
  29. Response to question 3 Justyce want's justice for his friend Manny after he was wrongfully shot by an off duty police officer so he gets the courage to testify for his friend. The trial never really happens but he stood up for himself and Manny.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Response to question 1 The cop that shot Manny and injured Justyce shot them because of his single story of colored people and because colored people had shot his partner not long before this incident. But if he had not been in angry with them just because of the color of their skin Manny would still be alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess with prejudice going through his head blind rage came over him during their interaction. I wonder how the outcome would have been if Tison's partner was never shot. It kind of reminds me of when Jus was talking to Doc about his dad having PTSD, was a drunk, his body was on auto pilot, and his brain was out of it. -cam

      Delete
    2. Good points, Luke and Cam. And I wonder if the police officer would have fired if the guys had been white. The offense, as you suggest, isn't just that they rudely refused to turn down their music.

      Delete
  32. Yes Luke I agree, when someone gets a strong opinion or a "single story" about someone or something it is very hard to get rid of it. Especially when that person or thing that is causing discomfort is continuing to upset you. That is why Justyce 's mother has a strong opinion, because the whites keep feeding the anger.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Response to #1. Clearly prejudice has effected many lives in this novel. But Manny just got killed, and Justyce got shot and injured. Manny's family and Justyce now have to live the remainder of their life with this terrible action in their minds. Just because a police officer got mad at a couple of teenagers for playing music to loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Ryan, this should not happen. The police officer is outright mental to shoot at these kids because they were listening to their music too loud.

      Delete
  34. Response to #2. Clearly when people are prejudiced the worst of the worst can happen. Manny and Justyce were prejudiced because of their skin color, and they end up getting shot. Just 2 teenagers out to have some fun when a police officer took it to far. When people get prejudiced they can be verbally abused, mentally abused or physically abused.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cam (Sorry bit behind :)) Shortly after the incident with Manny being shot and killed there were all ready rumors of the boys threatening, pulling a gun, or even throwing something at the man. These rumors come from white people. People that only think of the stereotypes and not about justice.

    ReplyDelete
  36. To Q #4 Justice was served when the jury decided to indite the cop with the crime
    about injuring Justyce and killing Manny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To add to that on page 135, "Dr. Rivers nods, 'It's not a conviction, of course. But it's a start. Just a relief to know what happened is being treated as a crime.'" Dr. Rivers, Mr. Julian and Justyce were all relieved about how the Grand Jury made the decision. I think it's fair that the cop was charged with murder because he shot two kids with no explanation for why he did it.

      Delete
  37. I agree Elijah Like I said to Amanda Justyce's mom may have grown up should not affect Justyce life. I would also like to add that Justyce mom was fine with manny but not with SJ. Maybe SJ's family doesn't get along with Justyce mom?

    ReplyDelete
  38. To answer question one when does prejudiced affect young people? I say yes because in the first chapter he was handcuffed. Because of his race so he started writhing letters to Martin LutherKing Jr asking for advise.

    ReplyDelete
  39. To question number three on justice and prejudiced I think Quan case was not justified. Because man stabbed Quan's father eight times, "There was this seventeen year old rich white boy. Dude had got up in the middle of the night and stabbed his dad like 8 times." Found on page 144 but the Judge drop the case to assault charge.
    While Quans' case got a sentenced to one year of jail. "Meanwhile they lock me up for one year on a petty theft charge cuz it was my 'second offense." found on page 144

    ReplyDelete
  40. Free Response. I find it outrageous that That a seventeen year old boy stabbed his father eight times and got a assault charge and Quan got sentenced to one year in jail for petty theft. This doesn't make sense. The seventeen year old boy should have got a much worse punishment then Quan because he did something far worse.

    ReplyDelete
  41. To Question 1. Prejudice affects the lives of young people all the time. It effects Justyce when the media tries to come up with single stories about what actually happened on the night of Manny's death. Things like him being a thug because he is black. Justyce doesn't take these rumors well.

    ReplyDelete